KEY TAKEAWAYS IN THIS ISSUE OF TECHNICAL TOPICS:
- Decisions have downstream consequences. Consider both the intended and unintended consequences of your decisions.
- Good models exist in the industry to right-size your replacement rearing program, consider reproduction program options, and enhance culling decisions. Explore and familiarize yourself with these decision models.
- Consider increasing the average age of cows in your herd. Third-plus lactation cows are the most profitable.
- Each dairy is unique, with its own set of circumstances. Actions must be considered within this unique context. What worked for a neighbor or colleague may not work the same for you.
- Your SDC Consultant has access to decision models and industry experts to help you think through complex decisions. Good data tracking helps you evaluate the outcome of management interventions, including both the intended and unintended consequences.