News + Insights
Reproductive efficiency and body condition score: Are you in the high-fertility cycle?
KEY TAKEAWAYS IN THIS ISSUE OF TECHNICAL TOPICS:
- Cows with higher BCS at dry-off or calving are more likely to lose BCS during transition.
- BCS loss during transition is associated with reduced reproductive efficiency.
- Attempts at altering BCS at calving to reduce BCS loss should not be substituted for impeccable transition cow management.
- Reduced variation between cows is a factor in entering a high-fertility cycle and a consequence of the high-fertility cycle.
- BCS will be reduced with increasing reproductive efficiency due to less time being spent in late lactation.
- In herds that are in a high-fertility cycle, efforts to raise BCS to previous recommendations are unnecessary and could result in some excessively heavy cows.
- In herds that intend on entering a high-fertility cycle, a focus on reproductive management and reduction of variation between animals can be accomplished by setting strict limits on days open or times bred.