KEY TAKEAWAYS IN THIS ISSUE OF TECHNICAL TOPICS:
- Higher butterfat and protein production will bulk up your milk check.
- Feed for higher butterfat by maintaining a consistent rumen environment that does not cause drops in rumen pH.
- Increase milk protein production through crude protein and amino acid balancing.
- Watch for seasonal butterfat and protein decreases in the summer and increases in the winter and adjust your ration accordingly.
- Monitor trends in federal milk order component pricing to determine if you should be aiming for more butterfat or more milk protein production to boost your milk check.