KEY TAKEAWAYS IN THIS ISSUE OF TECHNICAL TOPICS:
- Tracking forage inventory informs ration decisions, feed purchases, and next year’s crop plan.
- Measure or estimate forage inventory post-harvest. What went into the storage structure and what remains from the prior year?
- Predict inventory usage for the coming year – consider all of the angles to lay out an informed plan. Shrink must also be accounted for and tracked, which can also help control losses on the dairy.
- Compare inventory on-hand versus predicted usage. Adjust accordingly if necessary.
- Feed-out should be monitored over time to ensure that pace aligns with remaining inventory. The sooner a potential inventory shortage is recognized, the sooner necessary adjustments may be made, which results in sustained health and productivity, as well as reduced purchased feed cost.