KEY TAKEAWAYS IN THIS ISSUE OF TECHNICAL TOPICS:
- Feed additives can increase your feed cost/cow/day significantly. Therefore, it is necessary for the producer and nutritionist to conduct a periodic review of reed additives in the diet to help control feed costs.
- Feed additives are included in the diet for specific reasons. It is up to the producer and the nutritionist to determine if those reasons are still valid today.
- Not all additives are created equal. Asses the research, experience on farms like yours, and proven returns on each unique product.
- Milk price should NOT determine if a feed additive is appropriate. Either it’s helpful, or it’s not. Milk price will affect the ROI, but not the need.
- Use all your resources to get complete information and make an informed decision.